KERENDAHAN HATI (TAWADHU) MENURUT SYEKH ABDUL QADIR AL-JAILANI
Dari Syekh Abdul Qadir Al-Jailani qaddasallahu sirrahu:
"Jika engkau bertemu dengan seseorang, pandanglah keutamaan orang itu berada di atasmu. Katakan dalam hatimu: misal Mungkin di sisi Allah ia lebih baik dan lebih tinggi derajatnya dariku."
✅ Sikap Tawadhu kepada Siapa Pun yang Kita Temui
1. Kepada yang Lebih Muda (anak kecil)
"Dia belum pernah bermaksiat kepada Allah, sedangkan aku sudah. Pasti ia lebih baik dariku."
2. Kepada yang Lebih Tua (lansia/sebaya ortu)
"Dia sudah beribadah kepada Allah sebelum aku, dan pahalanya pun lebih banyak."
3. Kepada Orang Berilmu (ustadz dosen profsor dll)
"Dia diberi kelebihan yang belum kucapai, meraih yang belum kuraih, mengetahui yang tidak kuketahui, dan ia mengamalkan ilmunya."
4. Kepada Orang yang Kurang Berilmu (misal pacaran dsb)
"Dia bermaksiat karena tidak tahu, sedangkan aku bermaksiat padahal aku tahu. Aku tidak tahu bagaimana akhir hidupku maupun akhirnya."
5. Kepada Orang yang Berbeda Keyakinan (non muslim. Misal cr7)
"Aku tidak tahu mungkin kelak ia masuk Islam dan ditutup dengan amal baik, sedangkan aku justru jatuh dan ditutup dengan buruk."
✅ Inti Ajaran
- Selalu merasa "bukan siapa-siapa" di hadapan makhluk Allah
- Kesombongan muncul karena merasa lebih pintar, lebih tua, lebih saleh, atau lebih tahu
- Carilah sisi kelebihan setiap orang, sehingga kita melihatnya lebih mulia daripada diri sendiri:
• Yang muda → hormat karena dosanya lebih sedikit
• Yang tua → hormat karena lama beribadah & banyak pahalanya
• Yang alim → hormat karena ilmunya
• Yang awam → hormat karena kesalahannya lahir dari ketidaktahuan
• Yang berbeda → hormat sebagai sesama manusia, takut akan akhir hidup masing-masing
📖 Sumber: Nashoihul Ibad, hal. 34 — Makalah 21, Bab 3
ENGLISH
HUMILITY (TAWADHU) ACCORDING TO SHEIKH ABDUL QADIR AL-JAILANI
From Sheikh Abdul Qadir Al-Jailani qaddasallahu sirrahu:
"When you meet anyone, see their virtue as standing above you. Say in your heart: Perhaps in the sight of Allah they are better and of higher station than I am."
✅ How to Show Humility to Everyone We Meet
1. To Those Younger
"They have never disobeyed Allah, while I have. Surely they are better than me."
2. To Those Older
"They have worshipped Allah before me, and their reward is greater."
3. To Those of Knowledge
"They have been given advantages I have not reached, attained what I have not, known what I do not, and they act upon their knowledge."
4. To Those Less Knowledgeable
"They disobey Allah out of ignorance, while I disobey Him knowing full well. I do not know how my life will end nor how theirs will."
5. To Those of Different Faith
"I do not know perhaps they will come to Islam and end with good deeds, while I may fall and end with what is evil."
✅ The Core Teaching
- Always see yourself as "no one" before Allah’s creation
- Pride arises when we feel we are smarter, older, more righteous, or more knowledgeable
- Seek the good in everyone, so you see them as nobler than yourself:
• Younger → respect for having fewer sins
• Older → respect for years of worship & abundant reward
• Learned → respect for their knowledge
• Unlearned → respect because their faults come from not knowing
• Different faith → respect as fellow human beings, fearing the outcome for each
📖 Source: Nashoihul Ibad, p. 34 Section 21, Chapter 3
DALIL
قَالَ سَيِّدِي الشَّيْخُ عَبْدُ الْقَادِرِ الْجِيلَانِيُّ قَدَّسَ اللهُ سِرَّهُ : إِذَا لَقِيتَ أَحَدًا مِنَ النَّاسِ رَأَيْتَ الْفَضْلَ لَهُ عَلَيْكَ، وَتَقُولُ : عَسَى أَنْ يَكُونَ عِنْدَ اللهِ خَيْرًا مِنِّي وَأَرْفَعَ دَرَجَةً، فَإِنْ كَانَ صَغِيرًا قُلْتَ : هَذَا لَمْ يَعْصِ اللهَ وَأَنَا قَدْ عَصَيْتُ فَلَا شَكَّ أَنَّهُ خَيْرٌ مِنِّي، وَإِنْ كَانَ كَبِيرًا قُلْتَ : هَذَا قَدْ عَبَدَ اللهَ قَبْلِي، وَإِنْ كَانَ عَالِمًا قُلْتَ : هَذَا أُعْطِيَ مَا لَمْ أَبْلُغْ وَنَالَ مَا لَمْ أَنَلْ وَعَلِمَ مَا جَهِلْتُ وَهُوَ يَعْمَلُ بِعِلْمِهِ، وَإِنْ كَانَ جَاهِلًا قُلْتَ : هَذَا عَصَى اللهَ بِجَهْلٍ وَأَنَا عَصَيْتُهُ بِعِلْمٍ وَلَا أَدْرِي بِمَ يُخْتَمُ لِي أَوْ بِمَ يُخْتَمُ لَهُ، وَإِنْ كَانَ كَافِرًا قُلْتَ : لَا أَدْرِي عَسَى أَنْ يُسْلِمَ فَيُخْتَمَ لَهُ بِخَيْرِ الْعَمَلِ وَعَسَى أَنْ أَكْفُرَ فَيُخْتَمَ لِي بِسُوءِ الْعَمَلِ. اهـ
Sheikh Abdul Qadir Al-Jilani said:
"When you meet anyone, say in your heart: This person is better in the sight of Allah than I am."
- If they are younger than you for example, a child say:
"This child has not sinned against Allah, whereas I have committed many sins. There is no doubt they are better than me in the sight of Allah"
- If they are older than you an elderly person or someone your parents’ age say:
"This one worshipped Allah even before I existed on this earth, before I was born."
- If they are learned a scholar, teacher, professor, and so on say:
"This one has been given what I have not attained, gained what I have not gained, knows what I do not know, and puts their knowledge into practice."
- If they are unlearned or simple someone like a dating say:
"This person sins because they do not know any better, whereas I sin knowing full well it is wrong. And I do not know whether my life will end in obedience to Allah or not"
- If they are not Muslim someone like CR7 say:
"I do not know; perhaps one day they will accept Islam and die with good deeds, whereas I might fall into sin and end my life doing evil"
About the Author